- Old madam: her husband died when she was young. She raised her two sons and also a son from her husband with a concubine.
- Zisu: old madam’s maid
- Master Gu/Gu De: the eldest son of old madam. Gu Xiran’s mother was his first wife. After she died, he took a second wife and had many concubines.
- Yan shi: first wife of master Gu. Mother of Gu Xitian and Gu Xiran. Passed away.
- Lin shi (madam): second wife of master Gu. Mother of Gu Xihe.
- Nanny Song: Lin shi’s maid who she brought from her maiden home
- Concubine Wen: originally a maid of Lin shi.
- Gu Xitian (19): eldest son of master Gu. Has the same mother as Gu Xiran.
- Fang shi: Gu Xitian’s wife
- Gu Xiran (17): second son of master Gu. Had been ill since young. Took a concubine and a wife on old madam’s orders.
- Shu Huan (14/15): wife of Gu Xiran. Time-traveled from the modern times.
- Concubine Yun/ Yun Yan: concubine of Gu Xiran.
- Qiaoyun: maid under Gu Xiran
- Xiangqian: maid under concubine Yun
- Huiyun: maid of Plum Flower Pavilion
- Liangchen (fine time): newly appointed maid under Shu Huan
- Meijing (beautiful scenery): newly appointed maid under Shu Huan
- Gu Xiren: Third son of master Gu. The only son of the illegitimate line
- Gu Xihe (10): fourth son of master Gu. Son of Lin shi.
- Ranmo: Gu Xihe’s study companion
- Shu Fu: Shu Huan’s father
- Xu shi: Shu Fu’s wife. Shu Huan’s stepmother
- Shu Yue (12): Shu Huan’s younger sister. Twin of Shu Huai. Child of Xu shi.
- Shu Huai (12): Shu Huan’s younger brother. Twin of Shu Yue. Child of Xu shi.